Friday, June 7, 2013

MISSION FAREWELL ADDRESS

May 12, 2013


On Mother's Day Mikayla gave her missionary farewell is Sacrament meeting. She spoke on how as a child and teen she loved rock climbing and whenever possible she liked to visit climbing gyms.  She said she never went to "Build a Bear" because if she had her choice between a bear and climbing a wall, she chose the wall.  She shared the following story..."I remember going to one of my father’s company parties in CT. Each year the company would rent out a country club with canoeing, swimming, paddle boating, horseback riding, and different carnival rides. One particular year, we went and right there near the front gate was this huge rock wall. I was stoked, so of course, we got in line and waited and waited. It was storming off and on and the wall would close down each time it thundered.  When the weather cleared my mom would get back in line with me, only for the weather to shut the wall down before I would get a chance to climb.  Finally, the weather cleared, we were back in line and there were only a few people in front of me, when the man who ran the wall came to inform us they were closing the wall down for the day. I was devastated. Before I could even fully react there was my mother giving it right back to the man, telling him I had been waiting forever, that I deserved my turn on that wall and he would wait a few more minutes until I had my turn to climb. Well he finally relented (I don’t think he really had the choice), and I was able to climb to the top.  This is a very little detail and probably an insignificant event in my life. But it has always stuck with me. I learned two very important things that day. One, my mother supports me 100% and two, she will help me climb walls, no matter what type they are".
 Mikayla went on to say that in our lives we have different walls placed before us; some we choose and some are trials that come our way.  Mikayla shared "the wall" of having to move from CT to NC after her freshman year of high school.    She said, "after the dark ages of middle school, freshman year had been the wonderful start to a very promising high school experience".  She went on to explain how she was able to climb the moving wall and stated, "moving ended up being one of best things that ever happened to me".

Mikayla concluded with the following..."Now in my life, I have a new wall I’ve decided to climb. I decided for myself I wanted to serve my God for a year and a half. Right from the start, my mother was behind me 100%, and I am so grateful for that. I am so grateful for the wonderful role models I have had in my life and the wonderful women who have been examples in my life. I am so grateful for my parents and family and the support they have given me in this decision. I know this gospel is true. I know my Savior lives. I know the Atonement is real. I know Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and it is the word of God.   


Mik climbing in CT - 2002 
Mik climbing in New Hampshire - 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment