Monday, September 2, 2013

THE CITY OF ENOCH


August 28, 2013

Dear Mom and Family,

I am so sorry!!!! We had temple p-day this week and its on Wednesday. Temple P-days is done by zone and I didn't even think about that fact that I was switching zones last week. SORRY!! I realized this last weekend and felt so bad for not letting you know that I wouldn’t be emailing until Wednesday. Monday and Tuesday were regular days and were long.  I was running out of food and was glad for p-day. We have a car and drove to the temple after picking some Elders who live near Compton and are on bikes.  I'm emailing from the family history library, but usually the missionaries in my zone use the public library, which will be closed next week so I don’t know if you will hear from me. 

I've officially completed one week in my new area Cudahy and boy is it different. First off, I'm not right on the coast anymore. Which means it’s HOT all the time. Thankfully we are not on bikes. Cudahy is 97% Latino. Basically, I'm in a Little Mexico and love it. I'm getting so much practice with my Spanish. 

My new companion is Hermana Rudd and she is great. This is her third transfer in the area, and she admits the area needs some work. We have renamed Cudahy "The City of Enoch" and plan to baptize everyone and eventually we will all be translated and go up to heaven. We'll start with a goal of four baptisms this transfer, and then take off from there. Our plan of attack is going to be through the members and talking to everyone on the street. (We've already met several people on the street and have return appointments with them.) We are still in the planning stages, but I'll let you know how it goes. 

We've also been visiting a lot of less-actives. In my last area, we didn't have a ton, so I never had to do it before. I love them and it’s so great being able to talk to them and help them remember the gospel. Plus, they have really good questions. Questions I've never thought about before, so it’s making me think. We've had some really good lessons so far.

Also, I met my neighbors this past week. Mr. and Mrs. S. They are originally from Lebanon and have been in the states for like ever. I'm completely obsessed with them. Both are super sweet and super kind and have so much personality! Mr. S. even gave us some fruit the other day. Before I leave Cudahy I'll get a picture with them. 

So two important things I learned/ realized this week:
1) During this past week, my companion and I were talking about the Second Coming. With the new announcement that missionaries can use the internet, we have now entered a stage where the gospel is in all parts of the world. As far as signs of the time, all we have left is the gathering and then the coming. Do you realize what this means! Christ is coming! 
2) I have yet again been reminded of the importance of daily scripture study. It kind of hit this past week; the power of the Book of Mormon. Investigators are not allowed to get baptized unless they are reading the Book of Mormon every day. How can they gain a firm testimony of the gospel is they are not reading the keystone of our religion? So what does this mean for us as members...? We need to be reading every day. We need to keep strengthening our testimony. We need to have the power of the Book of Mormon in our lives daily. If not, we are providing an excellent opportunity to let ourselves slip. So here's an invitation for all of you, read it every day. I don't care if its 5 minutes or 30. Read the book. Let the power change your life and help you to grow. It will happen. Promise.

Love you all! And I'll keep you updated on the City of Enoch!!! 
Hermana Mik Pillar

No comments:

Post a Comment