Monday, March 10, 2014

I ACTUALLY HAD TO USE MY UMBRELLA!


March 3, 2014

My Dearest Family,

So for the first time on my mission I actually had to use my umbrella!  It poured this past week. Like poured. But in a weird way, it was wonderful; kind of refreshing. We even had lightening and which made me miss the North Carolina storms. Thankfully we are loved greatly by the Lord and have a car. I felt so bad for the missionaries on bikes all weekend. 

And since I wasn't there to say it in person... HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMES!! It’s weird to think he's in the teen years. Time really does fly. 

So every night my companion and I review our day before we say our comp night prayers. We state three things: 1) The Tender Mercy of the Day (which usually turns into like five) 2) our hot missionary moment 3) our companion's hot missionary moment. Its been super nice to just take a moment and reflect on each and every day. So I'm going to apply it to the week....

1) The Tender Mercy (this is only one out of like a bagillion): 
Wednesday night we had all these plans to visit people in a certain section of our area. Now remember our area is HUGE; like GIANT. So if we take the time to drive one section, we usually stay there all day or at least all evening. Wednesday we had all theses plans and they literally all cancelled within ten minutes. I was stunned and we took it as a hint that we weren't supposed to go to that part of the area. So we prayed, and felt like we needed to change our plans and headed into Hollywood to try some less actives. Well here's a life lesson that I have learned, Hollywood has terrible traffic all the time. We literally took half an hour to go about 3 blocks. It was awful. Plus, it was raining. Not fun. (Side note: My legs were cramping because of the constant stop and go.) And you know what... every less active we tried, we couldn't find parking near their apartment. Like nothing! So we drove and drove. I was stressed and kept feeling like why on earth did we come to Hollywood. Why did we think it was a good idea?? Finally, Sister Bob looked at a list and asked if we should try a different less active. So we drove on. And a miracle happened. We found the tiniest parking spot that our car could barely fit in, but we managed to make it work. Then we walked into the apartment complex. As we walked in a girl walked out, but we didn't have a chance to say anything to her. So we are walking around (probably looking like fools because we can't find the apartment) when this girl walks back and is like... are you looking for me? I was stunned, and was like... well it depends on who you are? Turns out it was the less active we were looking for!! We were able to have a lesson with her. :) Help her with her concerns and re-invite her to church. And it was just a cool realization that we ended up exactly where we were supposed to be. 

2) Hot Missionary Moment:
At church yesterday, a less active showed up who hasn't been to church in months. I've actually never met her. Just seen pictures and heard about her. (We've tried stopping by but never been able to catch her home.) Well she was in Sacrament and I wanted to introduce myself to her. After the meeting I saw her head for the doors. She was already down the hallway and about to leave the building by the time I got out of the chapel. I thought about it for a sec. Do I follow her or do we try and stop by later??? Next thing I know I was sprinting down the hallway in the church. Not sure how Christ-like that must have looked, but we were able to catch her. :) Turns out she was just getting a drink of water. Awkward.... But we now have official met!

3) Sister Bob's hot Missionary Moment:
We started talking to this security guard on Saturday as we tried to avoid the rain. He was almost trying to argue with us. Like bringing politics into religion and saying how could God let things happen? Sister Bob opened up about past experiences and just TESTIFIED! I was so impressed. The guy's heart totally softened and we were able to get his contact info so we could send more missionaries to his house. 

Overall, we always have stuff to be grateful for. God's hand is in our lives, we just have to take the time to look for it. Have a wonderful week and look for the tender mercies. You will be blown away!!

Love you all!!!
Sister Mik Pillar 

"Kindred Spirits" Sister Bob and Sister Pillar

No comments:

Post a Comment